Thursday, September 6, 2012

Annabelle's first day of school ever


a school01 a school02 a school03 Today was a big day...Annabelle's first day of school. I woke up early this morning with panic running through my veins. I felt like I was not prepared or ready for her first day of preschool. Since I coudn't sleep, I got up and checked to see if I had signed all the forms and paperwork for her admission. I had. Her blankie and sippie cup were in her backpack. Her lunch was made, her clothes clean and ironed (Yes, I own an iron), teachers' gifts were made,  and my camera was ready to go. I had done everything I needed to do to prepare her for today. Then I realized that it was me who was not ready.  I had a list a mile long of things I could do on my one kid-free day a week, but I hadn't actually thought about what it would feel like not having my little sidekick with me. 

We arrived at the preschool with armloads of stuff. I set her down and she immediately went to the baby dolls.  Then she saw a Minnie Mouse stuffed toy just like hers at home and went for it.  Unfortunately, it was another little girl's lovie.  There was discussion that went something like this:
Annabelle: My Minnie
Other girl: My Minnie
Annabelle: My Minnie
Other girl: No, Mine!
Good two year old stuff!  They used their words which is the best you can hope for with 2 year olds.  I was able to distract her from the Minnie tug of war by leading her to the kitchen where I took a quick picture and said goodbye.  She cried.  for about two minutes.  I know because when I passed her room after I dropped off her paperwork in the office, she had stopped.
a school04
Big ideas about my "Day Off" and all I did today was take a shower and go to lunch with my mom.  Still, all day long, I felt like part of me was missing, kind of like the way it feels when I forget my phone or purse at home.

I picked her up and she had had a great day! I knew she would.  Her sweet teacher wrote a note about her first day. Even though I missed hugging and kissing on her while she was at school today, I feel like she was loved by her teachers. 

Here's what her teacher wrote, "What a fabulous first day of preschool Annabelle had!  She was so busy during center time exploring the room! She didn't want to stop for storytime but she did move closer as I read while holding her toys.  She took very good care of our dolls, feeding them and patting their backs.  She sat back and observed during most of music. That is, until the props came out! She LOVED singing and dancing to Tu Ti Ta while waving scarves! What fun! I am so happy to have Annabelle this year!
Love, Ms. Miller"




1 comment:

Emma said...

What a sweet little girl. And really, how nice to have lunch with just you and your mom - you probably haven't done that since before Barrett was born!

Related Posts with Thumbnails