Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy 4th Birthday Annabelle

Dear Annabelle, 

Today you turned 4 years old! My baby! I just tucked you into bed and now I'm sitting outside your room listening to you sing, "happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me..." Oh man, birthdays are so bittersweet for mommies.  Someday, you will understand.  We had a wonderful day celebrating you...our sweet, funny, nurturing, precious Annabelle.  Not that you would ever let us get away with calling you any of those things. Nope. Anytime somebody says you are so ______ [fill in the blank: cute, funny! kind, etc], you say, "No I'm not! I'm Annabelle!" I love that because it is so true.  You are not and never will be just one thing.  You are this fantastic mix of all kinds of wonderful qualities and quirks that are uniquely "Annabelle". Even though I can never describe your full personality in words, I want to take this moment to try to make note of who you are and what you are like right now...Annabelle at age 4.


This song reminds me of you:


every time I think of you,
smile for a while
that's the one thing you always do
smile smile smile

acting out stories and hugging your friends
smile for a while
i know what i'll do when i see you again
i'm gonna smile smile smile

chorus:
like ripples in a pond
or runners who pass the baton
good feelings will go on for mile after mile
and your big heart circles the world
every time that you smile

doing those voices and telling your jokes
smile for a while
your crazy hairdos and your thriftshop coats
smile smile smile

every time you break into a broadway song
smile for a while
the whole world starts singing along
smile smile smile

well you know i love you and i'm glad you're my friend
smile for a while
you know what i'll do when i see you again
smile smile smile

Yesterday, we had to get new tires for my car and we had been in the tire store for less than 2 minutes and the man helping us asked if you were a spitfire.  We said, "Yes. The sweetest little spitfire you ever met."  The sweet spitfire part of you is the part that insists on wearing pink polka dot rain boots on a sunny day...with a tutu and tiara...to the grocery store. It's the part of you that gives the boys a big hug everyday after school and then a few minutes later gets stern and tells them with your hands on your hips, "Boys! It's time to go...now!"  It's your sweet spitfire personality that insists that we buckle up your baby doll for the ride to school. You always want to say the dinner prayer and then will start over 15 times (exasperated) if someone opens their eyes and nibbles on their food. When you are at your dance dress rehearsal and everyone is supposed to be sitting against the wall waiting for instructions, but you are knocking on the window telling your brother "I love you"...sweet spitfire. 


You are so sweet that everyone who knows you, loves you. We went out to dinner tonight to celebrate your birthday, and from across the room I heard, "Annabelly!" It was one of your teachers who was so happy to see you and give you a big hug. I know that all of your teachers adore you and even some teachers who didn't have you in class would stop me in the hall to tell me how much they love sweet, spunky Annabelle.  Everyday you would RUN to your class, pause at the door before swinging it open and cheerfully presenting yourself.  If your body could talk at that moment, it would be saying, "Ta-dah!"  You enter a room like Cramer from Seinfeld only less clumsy. (I know you don't know who that is but look it up on YouTube). You bring a smile to everyone's face. That is really the essence of you. You are so happy that others can't help but to smile and feel happy too just by being near you.  You are radiant like sunshine.

You have two brothers who are pretty crazy about you too.  I mean those rough-and-tumble boys crack up when you say "that's amaaay-zing" in a deep growly voice. Barrett would spend all of his money buying you everything you want.  They think you are so cute and hilarious and they would do just about anything for you. Tonight Kyle made up a song for you that went something like this: "Happy birthday to you. I really really love you. I hope you had a great day. Happy birthday to you!" 
Each night at bedtime, we get your jammies on, brush your teeth, you tuck in your babies and kiss them goodnight. (You like to tuck in anything that will lay still long enough.) Then, we read Tickle Monster. You always get me laughing, no matter what my mood. As I get to the part of the story when the tickle monster is about to tickle your adorable footsies, but before I can even say it, you stick out your foot and start giggling. Gets me every time.

Right now, you know your ABCs and you know most of their sounds, you are counting, and telling long stories that always start with "One day..." and end with "That was weird." When you grow up, you want to be a mommy and a teacher.  You have figured out how to pump yourself on the swings.  You love playing house, cooking pretend food, playing with Bailey, and helping me.  You just had your first dance recital today and you enjoyed being on stage so much.  It was so fun to watch you (Gigi, Grandma and I were all crying tears of pride and joy!)  You are confident, outgoing, funny without even trying, giving, caring, energetic, independent and happy. 


Since right now, you won't let me tell you that you are pretty, I want to write it in this letter so you can read it later.  I want to tell you what makes a girl pretty (which you are!).  REAL beauty comes from inside, not outside as many people think.  A girl is pretty when she is kind, shares her things, helps others, includes others who may feel left out, does the right thing, is true to herself, and is confident.  You are are the prettiest little girl I know inside and out. Seriously. That's not mama bias talking. You ARE and DO all of those pretty things.

I hope you always stay true to who you are...because you bring so much joy to yourself and everyone around you. I could tell stories and write about you all day and have a smile across my face the whole time.  I am so SO lucky I get to be your mommy.  I love you more than words can express!

Love, 
Mommy


Right now: 
your favorite color is pink polka dots, yellow is your second fave
fave foods: pirate booty, cheese, chicken nuggets 
fave books: Tickle Monster, Curious George lift the flap book
fave activities: dancing, playing with brothers, long jumping, being silly
fave songs: Mirror by Justin Timberlake, Ho-Hey by the Lumineers, and of course Let It Go
by Idina Menzel (from Frozen), and Do You Want to Build a Snowman by Kristen Bell (from Frozen)


Here are some more pictures from your birthday (recital pics coming soon)


Holding up 4 fingers





No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails