Thursday, August 21, 2008

PBK--on my soapbox!

Just got my new Pottery Barn Kids catalog and I must say I am not happy with the direction this is headed. This is not a slam just on Star Wars (ON THE COVER!), I guess it irks me the whole commercialization of our kids thing in general. Pottery Barn hadn't been that way in the past. I noticed it in the last catalog with the Batman, Spiderman, and Superman chairs which are back in this one-yuck.

I won't even go into the fact that our kids (or the kid on the Pottery Barn Kids cover) have problably never even seen the Star Wars movies nor the I will I address the ugliness of the sheets (IMO). I just get so tired of corporations marketing propaganda and advertising to kids to wear and play with and further advertize their lame product. It's weak. They know no right-minded adult would buy this crap, but maybe if a kid nags or throws a tantrum in a store, it will get the parent out of their right frame of mind just long enough to buy it. They think a parent can't resist the request of their child who sees the characters they see over and over again on TV, cups, t-shirts, etc...they must be cool, "I waaaant that!" they whine.


I have had enough! I will not give in to the propaganda. I know I have posted pics on this blog of my kids wearing PJs of certain characters. They were gifts and PJs, so I didn't think anyone would be seeing them. I am so disappointed in PBK. I hope this is all I see of this stuff from one of my favorite stores.


What I am gonna do the day when they want to be Elmo, or Spiderman for Halloween?

ETA: I had more to say. It's not like we don't pay enough for these movies at the theater AND they want US to pay for our KIDS to do their advertising for them?! I know this has been going on for a long time but I don't have to buy into it. Call me Charlie Brown, but I don't like it and I refuse to give in. If I wanted to to sell out my kids I would make some money off it myself and sell their names - you'd be reading a blog about 2 boys named Doritos and Red Bull...it gives you wings!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails