Monday, August 22, 2011

First Day of Kindergarten

first day

Dear Barrett,

I just dropped you off at your first day of Kindergarten. Big. Day. This is the start of a great wonderful journey filled with joys and struggles and learning experiences. I am so proud of you and yet so sad that the little kid chapter of you life is over. Up until now, I was your world. I have always been here to protect you and guide you and shape you. Up until now, I have always been there to kiss your boo-boos and hug you when you were sad. I have been the one to give you high fives when you did great. I have been the expert on the subject of You, but soon I will sit in a conference with your teacher and she will tell me something I do not already know about you. Up to this point, most of your friends have been the children of my friends. This is the day that our worlds will change.
Today you will make friends with kids I do not know. If you are lucky, some of these friends may be your friends for the rest of you life. Choose your friends wisely. Nobody is perfect and even friends sometimes hurt your feelings. The good friends are worth making up with. On this journey, you will learn to read, and solve complex math problems. You will learn about history, science, music and art. You will also learn how to be a friend, a student and an independent person. You will make important little choices like what to eat for lunch as well as important big choices like whether or not to cheat. They will be your choices. You will learn responsibility, and respect, and integrity. Some lessons will be easily learned, others will not. You will have successes and failures. I hope you learn from both.
I cannot be at school when you scrape your knee to give you a band-aid. But when you get home, I can give you a hug. I may not be there when you finally figure out long division, but I will be here with a high five when you get home. And when you make a choice you regret, I will love you no matter what. You are a big kid and you don’t need me to hold your hand anymore, but my hand is always available…and my arms are open, and my ears are ready to listen whenever you want. I love you and I am always proud of you.

Love,
Mommy



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails