Sunday, June 14, 2015

Happy 5th Birthday Annabelle

Dear Annabelle,

Happy birthday! Here we are, 5 years in and I cannot imagine my life without you...without your smile and inner joy, your questions, your sweet hugs and kisses.  You have brought so much richness and softness, and sweetness to this family and we are so much better because you are a part of us. To know you is to love you...I know I’d love you even if you were not my daughter.  You are amazing, and I want to take this opportunity to tell you why.

You are sweet
You have filled our lives with so many wonderful things and not a day goes by without messy-haired good morning snuggles where you sneak your cold toes under my warm legs, and say a sweet "Dood morning, Mommy."  You are the first to notice if someone is sad and needs a hug and kiss, and you are very good about sharing and using good manners.

You are loving and caring
Around every corner of the house, we find every baby doll  (and sometimes other things like the boys' action figure alarm clock) tucked safely into their bed (or shoebox) with a little baby blanket...or a tea towel...or a paper napkin if it's all that's available. I love your mid-day snuggles when you climb into my lap while I'm working. Today, you played doctor on me and I told you my head hurt.  You leaned over and put your ear to my head, popped up and said, "Ah, your head is beeping really fast. I have a diagnosis! You have headitis and you need to rest."  You brought me a blanket from your room and a stuffed animal to cuddle with. 

You are creative
Each day, you bless us sweet manners, and endless hand-drawn family portraits with our eyes where our ears should be and at least a dozen made-up-on-the-fly songs usually about your brothers, America, or pretty flowers. 

You are spunky
You skip or twirl into every room you enter and into every heart of every person you meet.  You are the only little girl I know who literally swims in the bathtub and washes the car with a broom. You keep those bothers in line with your stern (but still so sweet and cute) voice, one hand on your hip and the other wagging a pointed finger. 

You are funny
You burp like a man, and then sweetly cover your giggling mouth wide-eyed and surprised that that monstrous noise came out of you.  We love your stories that all start with, "Well, one day..." and end with you laughing, "Yeah, that was funny." The stories really aren't all that funny, but because you to dissolve into great fits of laughter. And your laugh is the Single. Greatest. Sound. On. This. Earth. the rest of us can't help but to join in with you. 




You are brave and determined
You got a bicycle for your birthday and it had training wheels.  You asked immediately to have those training wheels removed.  We were hesitant because you have never ridden a 2 wheeler before, but you insisted and we finally decided to let you try.  You have almost got it figured out!  You have gone up and down the sidewalk with daddy (and me taking pictures) over and over trying to learn.  You can go a few seconds all by yourself already!  I know with your determination, you'll have it down in no time.

You are spiritual
Five of us sit at our dinner table each night, eyes closed, hands clasped waiting for you to bless our food. But as you begin to say the prayer, four of us can't help but to peek with one eye open and huge, proud smiles on our faces. With your eyes and hands squeezed tightly, this was tonight's prayer, "Dear God, we are hopeful [you mean thankful] for the dinner and Mommy and Daddy. We are hopeful [thankful] that we got to go swimming today.  We are hopeful that we can be loving. And we are hopeful that the boys be nice tomorrow. And we are hopeful [thankful] that I cleaned my room...Amen."

Part of me wants you to stay little forever, just the way you are, because I love everything about you. You are my baby and always will be. But part of me is excited to see you grow up and get to know the wonderful person you will become, watch you stride confidently into the world...just not too soon. 

I love you so much and I am so lucky I get to be your mommy. 
I Love you more that words can express.

Love,
Mommy

Right now:
your favorite color is pink polka dots
your favorite TV show is Peppa Pig
You love vanilla "valilla" ice cream, rice and beans, and french fries
You are able to swim halfway across a pool on your own
You know your letters and their sounds
You love puzzles, stacking blocks & dominoes, and coloring
You love playing with dolls 
Very often you clean your room without even being asked!






Training wheels OFF! 












No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails