Thursday, August 15, 2013

Star gazing in the middle of nowhere

I mentioned to Cody on Monday that we should take the kids out to watch the meteor shower.    Man, did he jump on that.  Next thing I knew, he found a "Dark Map" online (I never knew such things existed) and decided that to see the stars, we'd need to go out to the country...like an hour away.
We had a nice evening, stopping to eat at our fave BBQ place on the way.  We brought car snacks and music and enjoyed the ride.

I somehow managed to catch a picture of one of the shooting stars...I didn't see it happen (probably because I was distracted by the kids).  We did see quite a few shooting stars though.  But the best part was the driving and talking.  If we hadn't had such a long drive, I would have never learned how to build a time machine.  Oh yes, Kyle knows how and he told me exactly how to do it:

"Mom, I know how to make a time machine.  It's so easy.  All you need is a lightbulb, a clock, 4 crystals, and 3 buttons: one for the power, one to set the date, and one for the GO button.  First, you turn on the power to light the lightbulb which shines through the crystals which creates the time portal.  Before you walk through the portal, you have to make sure you set the clock to the time and set the date for the day you want to travel to. Then push GO and walk through the portal of light...DUH!"

(Word for word, I recorded it on my phone.)

stars01 stars02

This is what it looks like when you try to get a self-timer picture of your family really late at night when everyone's eyes are adjusted for out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere-super-dark-darkness.  I took a second shot but everyone closed or covered their eyes.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails