Monday, December 17, 2007

a cautionary tale about names and nicknames

I have this theory about names, whether it be for your dog, or your child, and it is this: If the name has a well-known meaning or is a characteristic type name the child will tend to live up to the name. There is a an exception to this thoery: Sometimes the child will go out of his/her way to prove he/she is nothing like the name describes.

Now for some examples:
1) My aunt's dog Sassy was the sassiest dog you ever met.
2) We have had to stop calling my son Kyle by his nickname "BooBoo" because he has bit through his tougue requiring a stitch, the next day he sliced his wrist on a piece of glass, he has chipped a tooth, etc, etc, and he is only 14 mos old! We now call him just "Boo".
3) I used to work with a very shy man named Coy
4) My mom's dog named Sugar ended up being diabetic.
5) A roommate in college was nicknamed princess by her father, and called home weekly for Daddy to send money. She also expected gifts for every monthly anniversary from her boyfriend. I could go on and on...
6) Exception: Rowdy, my former neighbor, was the least rowdy person I have ever met. He was living to disprove his name.

My thinking is that your name is often the first thing people know about you and consciously or subconsciously we may treat a person a certain way based on their name. How do you perceive a person named Candy vs a person named Margaret?

If you think about it, I am sure you can think of people you know with names or nicknames that are charateristics and they probably fit it to a tee or maybe the are trying to live it down. Just be careful when you give a moniker to your loved ones that you aren't pigeonholing them for life! no pressure :)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails