Wednesday, January 23, 2008

hair

Give me a head of hair, long beautiful hair. Shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen. Give me it down to there. Hair! Shoulder length or longer. Hair! Here baby, there mama, everywhere now daddy, daddy. Hair! Hair! Grow it, show it, as long as I can grow it…

If you haven’t figured it out, that is from the musical HAIR! I think the best part about writing that is the fact that I had to ask my strapping husband to tell me the lyrics! I did write that for a reason, though. I have decided to grow out and donate my hair to Locks of Love.

I have done some research and have chosen Locks of Love because it fits for me. Although the 10” requirement will be a challenge, (some others take 8” lengths), I wanted to be a part of helping kids who can’t grow hair because of burn, or disease or Chemo. It’s tough enough being a kid with hair as I recall. Hair is so important (just ask Meredith). It shapes how we feel about ourselves. It’s one of the first things people see when they look at us. I know it’s the first thing I look at when I look in the mirror. I can’t imaging being a kid without it! I hope I don’t become an adult without it.

www.locksoflove.org has all the info. I would love to have partners in donation! I think my ponytail is about 5-6 inches long to the point where I am willing to cut it. I don’t want to have to get a Demi Moore-in-Ghost-haircut afterward. I plan to take pre-natal vitamins--those puppies made my hair and nails grow super fast when I was pregnant! Sorry I am not going to post a pic of me/my hair right now...ugh. If you wanna do it too, let me know and we can have a cutting ceremony!

2 comments:

lewister said...

Good for you on doing your homework. Too many people don't and then are disappointed when they later learn more about their chosen group. (Info on about seven different groups can be found at http://www.squidoo.com/donateyourhair) I'm giving to the Pantene Great Lengths program myself, probably around May. My hair feels impossibly long right now, but it's for a good cause! Best of luck to you as you grow yours!

Meredith Braaten, CD(DONA) said...

Ooooh, I'm so excited for you! I try to encourage everyone to do this particularly b/c I can't! (extreme layers & bleach & dye for the past 10 years prevent me from doing so!)
In addition to the pre-nates, what about using the horse shampoo & conditioner???

Related Posts with Thumbnails