Thursday, April 2, 2009

Hamburgers? a gluten-free alternative...

With allergies, comes a few sacrifices. . . like hamburger buns. My boys are pretty content with their bunless hamburger patties, but I have noticed that if I give them 2 patties and a side veggie, they will use the patties as buns and the veggies as filler to make a "sandwich." These guys just want their food to look like everyone else's.

With the new allergy results I might be able to figure out or find a recipe that I can make or adjust to work, but for now this looks pretty darn good! I used Polenta (in the roll--if you haven't tried this stuff, you should!) I cut the rounded ends off for the top "buns" and sliced the rest for the other bottom buns and extras. Just heated it on a skillet and put a hambuger patty between and it looks like a "real hamburger."


Corn (the main ingredient in polenta) is a common food allergen, but fortunately my boys are able to eat it.

We had to show Barrett how to pick up and bite into a hamburger-a whole new concept for him!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails