Tuesday, June 23, 2009

We had a berry good day

It's that time again...We got word the berries were ready so we donned our hats, rustled up our free labor, uh, I mean the kids and made the trek out to Bailey's Barry Patch. We got there early in an effort to beat the heat, but I think we were a couple of months late. The heat made us work quickly to collect 4 gallons of blackberries. That should last the boys through the night! Actually, what we collected last year only lasted 6 months and I think we only made one cobbler. If we have to move into an apartment when our house sells, our nearest and dearest friends and family can expect some cobbler or at the very least some frozen blackberries because we'll have to pull the plug on our freezer. Are your fingers and toes crossed for us to sell our house now?

blackberries01
This berry farm is pesticide-free and it's a good thing because Kyle can't seem to wait until we wash the berries before eating them. He actually looks pretty clean this year.

blackberries02
This is one of the few good pics I got of Barrett. He was too busy picking berries to look at the camera. We happened to run into a friend from Barrett's school there. Isn't it funny how you always run into people you know when you leave your little corner of the world?

blackberries03
With acres and acres to roam, they insist on occupying the same square inch!

When we got home, we took naps, at least I did which makes it a good day right there! Why don't my kids have the same philosophy? After dinner, I made a blackberry cobbler. Then, Cody and I danced in the kitchen while it was cooking. Can't ask for a better ending to my day than that! Dessert and dancing with my man.

cobbler
This was the first time I made this recipe. It tasted great, but I think cobbler should be super easy to make and this one was an ordeal. I probably won't make it again. It looked pretty though.

2 comments:

Meredith and Eddie said...

I told you, I really do think you should be mom of the year. What fun adventures you take your kids on. I still remember things like that that we did as a family (except for the pie to end the day), so I know your boys will have amazing childhood memories!

Aubs said...

The cobbler looks awesome...so yummy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails