Thursday, July 24, 2008

burfday party.

For Barrett's party, we invited just a few of his friends to go to Build-A-Bear. I think it was a great time, and the kids get to take home something they really love. I so enjoyed seeing Barrett go through this process. It really showed me how grown up he is. He was walking in a line, following directions the first time, sharing, etc. But, my favorite part was seeing him be a kid--unabashedly, whole-heartedly kissing a little stuffed heart for example (picture below), not worried about what anyone else was doing or thinking. And pretending to bathe his bear--I love to see him pretend! And holding my hand while jumping through the mall and asking "is that it" as we passed each store because he was so excited about his party. And stuffing handfulls of marshmallows into his mouth. (poor guy-that's just about the only sugary sweet thing he can eat) That is good kid stuff!

BTW--if anyone wants to have a Build-a-Bear party, let me know, I have a coupon for you ($10 off)--looks like you will need schedule your party before March 31, 2009 although the party can probably take place after that.

"Good morning, Birthday Boy!" If you know me, you know I love traditions, and I love photos. I can't remember where I saw this idea, but it's our new tradition: (but nobody better do it to me, though--only for the kids) When I go to get the kids up on their birthday, I take their picture immediately. I hope to capture their wake-up mood, their Pj's, their room, their bed-head. I missed the boat on a few of my goals with this picture. Settings too photographer-ish, need to be more snapshotty and Daddy put him to bed in a t-shirt instead of real Pj's (he didn't know my plan). Hopefully, I'll do better on Kyle's birthday. Anyway, I think it will be fun to look back on and see all the changes through the years.

"Hold you, Daddy" these words probably preceded this moment. Kyle says "Hold you" all the time--my cuddle monkey. I should correct him, but I don't. It's too cute and it melts my heart. He picked out a super cute scruffy puppy almost as big as he is and he's waiting to get it stuffed.
Oh, how I love this shot! The party leader had asked the kids to kiss the little fabric hearts that were going into the bears to fill them up with love. Barrett and Joshua "bathing" their bears.

Blake, Barrett, Kyle, Joshua, Christopher, Allie, (Avery was there too but she's not in this picture)

How funny is this picture? Let me count the ways...1) the E.T. hiding in the stuffed animals element 2) Allie's (far right) expression 3) Kyle's (center) oblivion 4) The only one looking at the camera is Joshua 5) Barrett is holding Kyle's puppy and Kyle is holding Barrett's bear 6) When we got home, we were missing part of a bear's outfit--it's the part that Kyle is ripping off in the photo.

After building their own bears, the kids "built their own cupcakes" (decorated) and sang Happy Birthday! Barrett had so much fun. Later, when we were heading out for his birthday dinner, he thought we were going back to do this all over again...or maybe that's what he was hoping!

2 comments:

Meredith Braaten, CD(DONA) said...

What a perfect place for "Bear" to celebrate his birthday!!

Newman Family Blog said...

What fun! Looks like everyone had a great time!

Related Posts with Thumbnails