Monday, July 28, 2008

ode to blueberry pancakes


If you cannot see a slideshow Click Here


It has been mentioned once or twice before on this blog about the boys' love for pancakes. I love that even with all their allergies, they can enjoy this favorite. In the slideshow, they are eating pancakes made with buckwheat flour which is surprisingly gluten-free! Also, I feel I need to say the reason they are dressed (or not dressed as it is) is because these pancakes are usually very messy. I think it's funny how Kyle's bites are so big his eyes close so his mouth can open wider. Man, I'm a lucky mom to have two such wonderful little boys.

I like in the slideshow how immediately after I tell them not to touch the pancakes they grab them. What did I expect, really?


Allergy Friendly Pancakes Recipe
This recipe has no gluten, casein, wheat, oats, rye, barley, corn, soy, or nuts.


2 c. buckwheat flour (or flour of the day)

1 c. tapioca flour

5 t. corn-free baking powder

1 t. salt

4 T. sweetener of choice

2 “flax eggs” (=2 TBSP flax seed meal + 6 TBSP water microwaved for 1 minute in separate bowl)

6 T. oil of the day

1 t. vanilla

2 cups milk of the day (or water + 1 TBSP ghee)

2 ripe bananas mashed, or 1 jar Gerber pears (if allowed for the day)

½ cup frozen or fresh blueberries (optional)

Pour batter onto griddle or hot skillet greased with ghee or oil of the day. Flip when bubbles appear all over. (I actually use an ungreased hard-anodized non-stick pan--No Coating that scratches off--have you seen these?!?)

notes:
Add cinnamon, or blueberries, or banana “wheels”, or pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice for variations.




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails