Saturday, December 20, 2014

Getting our Christmas Vacation on

I always look forward to Christmas decorating, watching Christmas movies, baking christmas cookies, making and giving gifts.  It's how we get in the Christmas spirit and enjoy spending time together as a family.  I wasn't in full Christmas swing until my annual Cookie Exchange with my friends.  This year I made Cousin Eddie Cookies based on the clothing of Cousin Eddie in one of my favorite Christmas movies, Christmas Vacation.  On a somewhat related note, for the first time since the movie came out in 1989 (25 years!), you can now buy the song that plays at the beginning of the movie!  This is exciting in and of itself, so you know I was really thrown into full Christmas Spirit mode when I was driving the kids home from their last day of school and heard it on the radio!  That did the trick!  

This year I had the realization that I am quite the Clark Griswold, with my expectations of the perfect family Christmas.  
Ellen: You set standards that no family activity can live up to.
Clark: When have I ever done that?
Ellen: Parties, weddings, anniversaries, funerals, holidays...
Clark: Goodnight Ellen
Ellen: Vacations, graduations...

I'm working on that...trying to let go of my expectations and look for the moments that are unplanned, yet wonderful and real.




Kyle made a scarf for last year's teacher because even though he is no longer in her class she continues to be a positive person in his life and we adore her!  I showed him a YouTube video about arm knitting and he did it himself! Pretty fun! She loved it and showed everyone this picture we included with it.  (This year's teachers got great gifts too, of course.)

Even the treehouse got decorated with lights this year!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails