Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Sushi for kids



I saw a similar recipe in Family Fun magazine months and months ago in a Dr.'s office and thought that I could convert it to something MY kids could eat. That recipe used a rice crispy treat base, but B and K can't eat that so I just used jumbo marshmallows. I cut slits in the marshmallow and Barrett pressed in small pieces of dried fruit (pineapple and strawberry). Then he wrapped strips of fruit roll-up that I had cut to the proper height around the marshmallows. As we worked on these, I talked to him a little about real sushi and showed him a picture of real sushi. He enjoyed snacking on the dried fruit until I let him dig into his little masterpieces!

Since I'm on the topic of dried fruit, if your kids like dried fruit as much as mine, I highly recommend getting a food dehydrator. Huge money-saver and I can even make my own fruit roll-ups with it...and there's no dyes or high-fructose corn syrup in these!

I'm sure if you google you can find the original recipe from the magazine.

3 comments:

Newman Family Blog said...

Very fun. So creative! Where did you get your dehydrator?

Jessica said...

We got our dehydrator at Walmart. It was the only one on the shelf, so I don't know if it's a regular item. but I'm sure you could do Site to Store too--it was only $30 something.

Jessica said...

Also, to make the fruit roll-ups is an extra piece that I ordered online. And the dried fruit that babies eat is freeze dried which is a little diffrent than dehydrated. Nora probably needs more teeth before she can eat dehydrated fruit.

Related Posts with Thumbnails